There are many PND’s already available in India and we currently use Garmin Nuvi in our car, and as an application on our smartphone we rely on Sygic – Map My India + Google Maps. The reason we use three Navigation is that we can’t rely on one navigation device to reach our destination. There are many reasons for the same, to start with Garmin Nuvi PND:
- Doesn’t feature Live Traffic
- Maps are not updated regularly
- Finding locations is a pain using the UI
- Most of the locations are untraceable unless exact latitude and longitude is fed
- Very limited customisation to offer in terms of map, interface, voice etc
- Sat Nav apps on smartphone require both data connection and location services to be active to use them efficiently, as a result they suck the battery in a jiffy
- What if you are in middle of nowhere and completely relying on your smartphone sat nav, right then you get an unavoidable call from your boss or client. You either stop your car and wait as long as the call goes on our you follow your instincts and get completely lost
- Increased cost due to continuous usage of data
The company announced the launch of A-501 device, a 5-inch model, running on the renowned iGO primo software by NNG, a global leader in the GPS navigation industry. The new PND is pre-loaded with the latest India maps and a total of over 7 million Points of Interest (POIs). To guarantee continued reliable guidance, the unit comes with a 1-year map update guarantee from NNG’s update portal Naviextras.com
What got us sold was the Integrated Quick Search (IQS) feature. With this feature iGO primo enables every driver to begin trips with no delay. IQS offers a search mechanism that allows the driver to program his destination in just a few seconds: by entering no more than the first 3 letters of his destination, the software starts searching simultaneously across all available databases such as POIs, Favorites, Point Addressing and more.
While driving, the Intuitive Navigation feature in iGO primo merges all available resources such as map and POI data, registered driving speed, and the ability of fast recalculation in a single superior navigation experience. It interprets the user’s behavior and offers fast solutions: in response to reduced driving speed, the software calculates detours, assuming that the driver has run into sudden traffic. When leaving the highway unexpectedly, the system doesn’t just blindly guide the driver back to his original route, but, offers petrol stations or restaurants as an alternative.
- Point Addressing – for more exact destination-finding, addresses are stored as individual points on the map
- Natural Guidance – voice guidance in the common way humans instruct each other, making reference to shops, monuments, bridges and more
- Enhanced Junction View – realistic and high-quality images of junctions that simplify turning manoeuvres
- Live Traffic – online traffic messages that warn the driver of congested road sections
- Historical Speed – considering past traffic data when calculating the best route based on the day of the week and the time of day
Commenting on the scope of navigation devices in India, Péter Bolesza, Vice President of EEU and Emerging Markets at NNG, said “India has a diverse demography and with increased urbanization, navigation solutions have become the need of the hour. We are convinced that iGO primo – easy and quick to use, and optimized for the Indian road system – makes driving an enjoyable and stress-free activity.”
Amit Sharma, Director at ANS India, said “Our aim has always been to offer innovative navigation solutions that enhance the driving experience. We’re positive that the new ANS Navigator device with iGO primo brings real value to every car.”
We will soon be reviewing the new PND’s before they are available in car dealerships, retail channels & aftermarket accessory stores from October, 2013. Stay tuned for the iGO – iOS & Android app reviews by us.
Taj Mahal Audio Tour by Audio Compass India