Uber has expanded uberPOOL service to more three Indian cities – Chandigarh, Jaipur and Ahmedabad, taking the national tally to 12 cities. The expansion strategy is an effort to promote shared mobility in India with uberPOOL allowing people heading in the same direction to take the same ride, said Uber.
Post the successful adoption of the product in Delhi, Bengaluru, Mumbai, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Pune, Guwahati, Chennai and Kochi, uberPOOL went live in Chandigarh (3rd October) and Jaipur (5th October) followed by Ahmedabad (6th October). Designed to offer first and last mile connectivity, and improved reliability,uberPOOL will also help contribute towards reducing congestion in cities. With more people in fewer cars, uberPOOL aims to decongest roads and reduce emissions and pollution over time. As of March 2017, with 48,259,398 kms of travel saved, uberPOOL has helped in reducing Co2 emissions of 5,352, 000 Kgs.
How UberPOOL works:
Selecting the uberPOOL option connects the rider real-time with 1-2 passengers heading in the same direction.
- Set your pickup location and destination
- Select uberPOOL for the carpooling option and get a fixed fare upfront, so you know exactly what you’re going to pay
- Click on “Confirm Uberpool”
- Click on “Confirm Pickup”
- Select how many seats you need 1 / 2
- Confirm seats! You might get matched with other passengers heading in the same direction
- Regardless of whether you’re matched or not, the fare will be less than traveling solo
- You can choose to use Cash, PayTM, Credit or even a Debit card
Speaking on the launch, Mr Prabhjeet Singh, General Manager, North, Uber India, said, “At Uber, we are constantly working towards redefining the urban mobility landscape in Indian cities which involves initiatives towards reducing congestion and pollution. We believe that uberPOOL is the future of urban mobility that allows ridesharing using technology, and in the process helps decongest cities by getting more people into fewer cars, letting riders move around their city more affordably and enables first/last mile connectivity. We have received positive feedback from other cities and are confident that as Chandigarh, Jaipur and Ahmedabad embark on their uberPOOL journey, the same will help contribute to the future that we have envisioned – smarter cities.”
Have you used the UberPool service? let us know your experience in the comment section below, follow us on Twitter for more news and updates.