HMD Global has announced that they have started rolling out the stable version of Android 8.0 Oreo to Nokia 8 users across the globe. Last month, Nokia 8 Oreo beta program was announced, wherein interested users could enroll and get the earlier build of the Oreo. Currently, the Oreo update is rolling out to a small bunch of users and will eventually roll out to all other users in the next two days.
To recap, the Nokia 8 was announced last month in India for the price tag of INR 36,999. The brand’s first Android flagship smartphone comes with a 5.3-inch display with Quad HD resolution and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection up front. Under the hood, it is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor, clocking 2.45Ghz and Adreno 540 GPU. It is equipped with 4GB of RAM and comes in only one variant – 64GB of onboard storage, expandable via microSD card up to 256GB.
To the optics, there is a Dual 13MP setup at the rear, one being the RGB sensor and the other one is a Monochrome sensor. It comes with Optical Image Stabilization(OIS) and Zeiss optics. The rear camera comes with 1.12um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, 76.9-degree wide-angle lens, PDAF and dual tone LED flash. The front camera houses a 13MP with ZEISS optics, PDAF, 1.12um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, screen flash and 78.4-degree lens. The device comes with a dual-sight technology, which Nokia calls it as Bothie.
Android 8.0 Oreo features
- Picture-in-Picture mode makes multi-task easier. Now, you can watch a YouTube clip while catching up with friends or check your bank balance.
- Autofill API allows apps to register as a system-wide provider of auto-fill services, similarly, like the way we select a keyboard on our phone. It stores and secures user data like addresses, usernames, and passwords.
- Adaptive Icon help users integrate better with the device UI. Developers can now create adaptive icons that the system displays in different shapes, based on a mask selected by the device. So, more and more app will now come with dynamic app icons.
- Notification Badge shows the number of notifications from a particular app.
- Notification Snoozing – You can snooze any app’s individual notification for 15mins, 30mins or 1hr. You can access this by sliding a notification to the side. It is next to the setting icon, simply tap on it and your notification will be snoozed (for 15/30/60mins). Also, undo button is also available.
Also Read: What’s new in Android 8.0 Oreo
Juho Sarvikas, Chief Product Officer of HMD Global, said
“We’re proud to deliver our pure and secure take of Android 8.0 Oreo on the Nokia 8. We always want to give our fans the best possible Android experience. That’s why, we’ve taken the time to test, optimize and refine the platform. Working together with our fans under our newly setup up Nokia phones beta labs, we’ve created a pure version of this highly anticipated mobile platform, delivering all the exciting new features with none of the unnecessary clutter, paired with great performance and even better battery life. Android 8.0 Oreo is packed with new features that make communicating, creating, gaming and exploring even more fun.”
What is your favorite Android Oreo feature? Drop a comment and let us know, follow us on Twitter for more news and updates.