Nokia has started pushing out the latest Android 9.0 Pie OTA update to its 2017 midrange smartphone Nokia 6 and it’s 2018 budget smartphone Nokia 2.1. Nokia 6 was the company first ever Android-powered smartphone and was launched globally at the MWC 2017. The Nokia 2.1 was launched in August 2018.
Both the smartphones from Nokia are Android One smartphones, meaning they will get the latest Android updates at least for two years and security updates for at least three years. The Nokia 6 was running on Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box and got the Oreo update last year and now it’s getting the Android Pie update, which is really good for a midrange smartphone, all thanks to the HDM Globals commitments. The Nokia 2.1 was running on Android 8.1 Oreo out of the box and this is the first Android update.
— Juho Sarvikas (@sarvikas) February 21, 2019
Key features of Android 9 Pie
- App Actions learns more about your daily usage and assists you with your everyday tasks. The smartphone will predict and recommend your next action at the moment it’s needed the most – whether it’s business, music or lifestyle. Further
- Adaptive Battery uses deep learning to understand patterns in phone usage and prioritizes battery power for apps that are important to you.
- Digital Wellbeing features will help to take breaks from screen time, it includes highlighting device time on your Dashboard, the ability to set time limits for app usage
- Wind Down Mode which fades your phone to grayscale and activates Do Not Disturb at a predetermined time in the evening.
- App actions help you get things done faster by predicting your next move and displaying the right action on your phone.
- Slices Identify relevant information of your favorite apps to make them more easily accessible when you need them.
- Adaptive brightness – Automatically adapts phone brightness by learning from your interactions with different settings.
- New System navigation features a single home button that provides intelligent predictions and suggestions.
Nokia 2.1 Specifications
- 5.5-inch HD display, anti-fingerprint coating
- 1.4GHz Snapdragon 425 processor, Adreno 308 GPU
- 1GB RAM
- 8GB internal storage, microSD card support up to 128GB
- 8MP rear camera with LED flash
- 5MP front camera
- Android 8.0 Oreo, upgradable to Android Pie
- Thickness: 9.35mm
- Dual SIM, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Dual SIM, Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, OTG
- 4100mAh battery
Keeping up with our promise of 2 years of Android updates, Nokia 6 (2017) is now officially running on Android 9, Pie 💪! Nokia phones get smarter over time. pic.twitter.com/50aLqColh7
— Juho Sarvikas (@sarvikas) February 20, 2019
Nokia 6 Specifications
- 5.5-inch 2.5D curved glass display with Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- 1.2Ghz Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 processor with Adreno 505 GPU
- 3GB RAM
- 32GB internal memory, with MicroSD card support up to 128GB
- 16MP rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, PDAF, f/2.0 aperture
- 8MP front-facing camera, f/2.0 aperture, 84-degree wide-angle lens
- Front Fingerprint sensor
- Android 7.1.1 Nougat, now Android 9.0 Pie available
- 3000mAh built-in battery
- 3.5mm audio jack, Dual speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Thickness: 7.8mm
- Dual SIM, 4G LTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.1, GPS, USB OTG
- Colors: Matte Black, Silver, Tempered Blue and Copper
For the latest updates from MWC, follow us on Twitter.