Norton today launched Norton Wi-Fi Privacy in India which is a powerful solution for Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone and iPad devices that helps to protect your private information from hackers snooping on unsecured Wi-Fi networks. According to the 2016 Norton Cyber Security Insights Report, 27% percent of Indians claim that they regularly use public Wi-Fi and in general, 70 percent of Indians say public Wi-Fi is useful for checking emails, sending documents and logging into accounts on the go. Only 45 percent use a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Can you really trust your hotspot?
Most people assume that all Wi-Fi networks available in public places like airports, hotels and cafes have security built-in. That’s not always the case. When consumers log onto an unsecure network, hackers can steal information as it travels across the web, sell it on the dark web for profit or even use the information to drain consumer bank accounts. To combat this, Norton Wi-Fi Privacy uses sophisticated encryption technology and scrambles consumer information to help protect their information and identity online. Tips to Keep Yourself Safe at Public Hotspots
- Never leave your laptop or handheld device unattended not even for a moment.
- Don’t allow your wireless card to automatically join the nearest network. Instead, manually select the hotspot when you connect.
- Make sure you’re on a legitimate hotspot by checking with the host to confirm the network name and connection process.
- Turn off file sharing when you’re using a hotspot, and try to minimize the amount of sensitive, personal data you store on your laptops and mobile devices. You can usually turn off file sharing from your operating system’s network settings menu.
- Don’t do your online banking or trading at a public hotspot. Save it for a more safe and controlled environment.
- When you’re on a public hotspot, you have no idea what infections other connected computers might have, or whether there may be a hacker prowling the network.
- Make wise computing decisions. Always avoid using hotspots for any type of important communication or transaction.
Norton WiFi Privacy is available as a 1 device at INR 2,999, 5 Devices at INR 3,999 or 10 devices at INR 4999 annual subscription and is compatible with Windows, Mac, Android or iOS devices. These subscriptions are available for purchase via https://in.norton.com/.
“Consumers are often overly complacent when it comes to using public Wi-Fi networks, believing that nothing will happen to them,” Mr. Ritesh Chopra, Country Manager, Consumer Business Unit, Symantec, India. “Norton Wi-Fi Privacy helps protect information, such as passwords and credit card numbers, and denies access to hackers who may be eavesdropping on the same network.”
For more news and updates follow us on twitter.