Amazon India today announced that it’s digital assistant, Alexa will now support interactions in Hindi or Hinglish. This new move will enable hundreds of thousands of Alexa customers in India to interact with Alexa to ask for music, get Bollywood or sports updates and much more in Hindi or Hinglish. Alexa powers Amazon Echo devices. The new Hindi experience is available on all Echo family of voice-controlled smart speakers.
Alexa can now understand customers speaking to her completely in Hindi or Hinglish, in multiple contexts, and varied regional accents and dialects. You can enjoy asking Alexa for diverse Hindi content such as jokes, shayaris, games, Kabir ke dohe, Panchatantra stories, Bollywood dialogues, more than 500 Alexa skills, and even spellings of words in Hindi.
Soon, customers can speak to Alexa in Hindi and English without changing the language setting back and forth. For example, if a user asks for the weather in Hindi, Alexa will reply in Hindi, e.x. “Alexa, aaj mausam kaisa hai?” and when they ask for information in English, Alexa will understand and respond in English e.x. “Alexa, tell me about Chandrayaan-2”. With Alexa, you can use your voice to play music, ask questions, read the news, set timers and alarms, check the calendar, provide sports scores, control lights at home, watch videos on Echo devices with screen and much more. With Echo’s far-field voice control, you can do all this from across the room using just your voice. Just say “Alexa, tum kya Kar Sakti ho?”
Starting today, Alexa in Hindi is also available on a range of smart speakers by Bose. These include Home Speaker 500, Portable Home Speaker, Home Speaker 450, and Home Speaker 300. Coming soon, to Motorola, MyBox, Boat, Portronics, Fingers, Sony, iBall, and Dish will launch and update their existing Alexa-built in devices to support Hindi.
Availability of Echo devices and demo of Alexa in Hindi
All Amazon Echo smart speakers such as Echo Dot, Echo Show 5, Echo, Echo Spot, Echo Plus, Echo Show, and Echo Input are available on amazon.in/echo/.
What can Alexa do for you?
- Play Music on Amazon Prime Music, Gaana, Hungama, JioSaavn, TuneIn, and more. “Alexa, Bollywood ke latest gaane sunao” or “Alexa, Kishore Kumar ke gaane sunaiye”.
- Ask Questions of all kinds including those about cricket, Bollywood, famous people and places, festivals, calculations, sports, stocks, spelling and much more in Hindi. For example, “Alexa, Diwali kab hai”, “Alexa, 64 ka cube root kya hai”, “Alexa, Spain ka capital kya hai?” and “Alexa, sone ka bhaav batao”.
- You can ask Alexa for a joke by saying “Alexa, chutkula sunao”. You can also say “Alexa, koi filmy dialogue sunao”, “Alexa seeti bajao”, “Alexa taali bajao”, “Alexa, ek kahani sunao”, or “Alexa, tum Kaun ho”.
- Control your Smart Home – Use Echo smart speakers to control the TV from the couch when watching a movie, or switch off the tubelight when getting in bed—all using just your voice. You can say “Alexa, light band kar do” or “Alexa, Geyser on karo”.
- Set Reminders, Alarms, and Timers – Set up multiple reminders, alarms and timers with your voice, including setting repeating alarms. Just say “Alexa, phone bill bharne ka reminder lagao” .
- Create and Manage Lists – Alexa can help you stay organised by creating and managing your To-Do and Shopping lists. Just say “Alexa, meri shopping list mein jeera add kar do”.
- Latest News and Cricket Updates – Alexa can read the news and give customized updates based on your news preferences. Just say “Alexa, kya chal raha hai?”, “Alexa, filmy khabrein sunao”, “Alexa, cricket score batao”, or “Alexa, India ka agala match kab hai?”.
- Weather Updates – Ask Alexa about local, national, and international weather forecasts. For example: “Alexa, aaj mausam kaisa hai?”, “Alexa, kya kal baarish hogi?”.
- Play with Alexa – Alexa has new Hindi skills for kids, from playing games to listening to Hindi rhymes and stories. Some of India’s most popular characters are now available through Alexa Skills including Vir The Robot Boy, Chacha Chaudhary, Kids TV, Koo Koo TV, Jugnu Kids and the evergreen Shambu and Suppandi from Amar Chitra Katha. Kids can get started by saying “Alexa, ChuChu TV shuru karo”, or “Alexa, sher ki aawaaz sunao”.
- Third Party Skills – Users can choose from over 500 Alexa skills in Hindi offered by more than 30 brands including Ola, ChuChu TV, GaneshaSpeaks, All India Radio, RedFM, Sanjeev Kapoor Recipes, Pearsons, Career Launcher, Art of Living, Sadhguru, VR Devotee, Shemaroo, Hungama, Hubhopper, Aastha TV and Amar Chitra Katha. These skills range from devotional music, horoscope, kids’ education and games, recipes, and more. You can ask, “Alexa, Hindi Shayari shuru karo”, “Alexa, Panchtantra ki kahaniyan shuru karo”, “Alexa, Kabir ke dohe sunao” or “Alexa, tumhare paas kya skills hai?” to know more about skills.
Follow us on Twitter for more news and updates.