Along with the announcement of the three new S20 series smartphones – S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra last night at Unpacked event in San Francisco, the company also announced a new foldable smartphone, the Galaxy Z Flip and the next-gen truly wireless earbuds, the Galaxy Buds+. The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip is Samsung’s second foldable device after the Galaxy Fold that was launched last year. The Galaxy Z Flip comes in a handy form factor and is also priced better than the Galaxy Fold.
Starting off with the design, the Galaxy Z Flip comes with Samsung’s bendable Ultra-Thin Glass (UTG), making it slimmer with a sleek, premium. It flaunts a 6.7-inch Full HD+ Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex Main Display and a 1.1-inch Super AMOLED Cover Display. It features a hideaway hinge and custom-built UX to provide an elegant way to capture, share and experience content. The Galaxy Z Flip folds into the size of a wallet, so you can easily fit it in your pocket or bag. The Hideaway Hinge system also integrates Samsung’s new sweeper technology, which uses nylon fibers crafted by micro-height-cutting technology to repel dirt and dust.
Further, Samsung collaborated with Google to design Flex mode, custom-built user experience for Galaxy Z Flip. When the device is free-standing, the display automatically splits into two 4-inch screens so you can easily view images, contents or videos on the top half of the display, and control them on the bottom half. When closed, one can check the date, time and battery status at a glance on the cover display. Also, you get real-time notifications to easily answer a call without unfolding or respond to a text by simply tapping the notification and unfolding your Galaxy Z Flip. With Multi-Active Window simply open the Multi-Window Tray to drag and drop the apps you want to use.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip Specifications
- 6.7-inch Full HD+ Dynamic AMOLED Infinity Flex Main Display (2636 x 1080), 425ppi, 22:9 aspect ratio, 1.1-inch(300 x 112) Super AMOLED Cover Display, 303ppi
- 7nm Octa-Core Snapdragon 855+ processor with Adreno 640 GPU
- 8GB RAM
- 256GB Internal storage
- Dual Rear Cameras: 12MP Ultra Wide f/2.2, 1.12μm Pixel size, 123-degree FoV + 12MP Wide-angle(Super Speed Dual Pixel AF, OIS, f/1.8, 1.4μm Pixel size, OIS, 8x digital zoom, HDR10+ recording, Tracking AF
- 10MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture, 1.22μm pixel size, 80-degree FoV
- 3300mAH battery with 15W Quick Charge and Wireless fast charging support, USB Type-C port
- Android 10, Samsung One UI 2.0
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner, Face unlock
- Dolby Atmos technology for audio
- Single SIM slot, eSIM, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, Samsung Pay, NFC, MST
- IP68 Water and Dust resistant
- Dimensions: Folded 73.6 x 87.4 x 17.3mm (Hinge) and Unfolded 73.6 x 167.3 x 7.2mm – 6.9mm (Screen)
- Weight: 183 g
- Colors: Mirror Purple and Mirror Black
Pricing and Availability
The Galaxy Z Flip will be available in limited quantities in select markets including the U.S. and Korea on February 14, 2020, for $1,380.
Samsung Galaxy Buds+
- Truly Wireless Earbuds
- Sound by AKG
- 2-way speakers with tweeters and woofers
- 3 mics, Ambient sound
- Up to 11 hours of music playback/ 7.5 hours of talk time
- Touch controls
- Battery – 85mAH(Earbuds) and 270mAH(case)
- Qi wireless charging
- 60 minutes of playback with just 3 minutes of charge
- Color: White, Blue, Balck
Priced at $149.99, the Galaxy Buds+ will be available in the US from March 6, 2020.