Fujifilm India, today announced the launch of its new mirrorless digital camera – the Fujifilm X-H2S in India. The new camera is the latest addition to the brand’s popular X-series that stands out for its outstanding image quality, delivered with Fujifilm’s proprietary colour reproduction technology.
The Fujifilm X-H2S features an evolved autofocus (AF) system capable of shooting up to 40 frames per second and offers a newly-developed subject-recognition AF technology. The camera can record 6.2K/30P and 4K/120P video as well. The camera aims to cater to the diverse photographic needs of professional photographers and videographers in stills and videos across genres such as sports photography, nature and bird photography and single-person on-location work.
Commenting on the launch, Mr. Koji Wada, Managing Director, Fujifilm India Pvt. Ltd. said, “We’re extremely pleased to bring the Fujifilm X-H2S camera to India. We aim to provide our users with the most innovative and creative technologies, enhancing their photography and videography experience with each click. We’ve created this model by listening to the overwhelming response from photographers and videographers for the X series, and we hope that these innovations will deliver a complete bang for a photographer’s buck. The camera series serves as a reminder of our dedication and ongoing efforts to ‘NEVER STOP’ innovating and inspiring our consumers to create the best of art.”
Mr. Arun Babu, General Manager, EID, Optical Devices & Instax Division, Fujifilm India Pvt Ltd, added “With a rapid evolution in the technology and imaging space, we’re thrilled to marry these elements to bring the best camera solutions for photographers and videographers in India. We’ve listened to our customers and incorporated cutting-edge features which will be sure-fire differentiators for anyone who uses the camera. We hope that Indian photographers and videographers leverage the Fujifilm X-H2S for putting their best shot forward!”
Priced at Rs. 2,39,999/-(inclusive of all taxes) the Fujifilm X-H2S will be available from 23rd July 2022 on the official Fujifilm X India website https://fujifilmxindia.com/, authorized retailers, and e-commerce websites like Amazon, Flipkart etc. The high-performance flagship model is also equipped with improved hardware and operability, and extensive interface options to cater to diverse professional needs. It also includes a new slot for a CFexpressTM Type B card and an optional file transmitter.
Fujifilm released the mirrorless digital camera “FUJIFILM X-Pro1” featuring an image sensor and a processor developed in-house in 2012. Since then, the company has constantly worked on boosting the X Series, releasing four generations of the devices over the last decade in pursuit of advanced image quality and portability. With the launch of the latest model “Fujifilm X-H2S,” the X Series heralds the arrival of the fifth generation of devices.
Devices that were launched today:
- X-Trans™ CMOS 5 HS
This 26.16MP image sensor inherits the previous model’s back-illumination style but also adopts the stack-layer structure to become the first stacked APS-C sensor capable of quadrupling the speed to read signals compared to the previous model. It has dramatically-improved performance, including up to 40 fps blackout-free burst mode and a significantly better AF rate during continuous shooting. As for video performance, the sensor can record 4K/60P video without cropping with a substantially reduced rolling-shutter effect.
- X-Processor 5
The all-new processor has double the processing speed of the current model. It has improved image resolution at low ISO sensitivity and reduced noise at high ISO sensitivity in stills while delivering significantly improved AF accuracy and speed. The AI processor enables subject-detection AF, tracking a targeted subject with increased accuracy. In the video, the processor enables filming 4:2:2 10bit video at 6.2K/30P and 4K/120P and supports a variety of codecs including Apple ProRes 422 HQ. It also has lower power consumption, thus extending the maximum video-recording time, and supports a CFexpressTM Type B memory card.
- Major boost to the burst mode capability: The camera can apply AF / AE tracking in the blackout-free continuous shooting of up to 40 frames per second, and can shoot over 1,000 frames continuously when setting the high-speed burst shooting mode to 30 frames per second (JPEG) or 20 frames per second (RAW).
- Dramatically evolved AF performance: The increased number of AF calculations performed per second has improved AF accuracy, provides a subject-recognition AF function, and improves the prediction algorithm to dramatically improve Zone AF and the capability to track a moving subject under a low-contrast environment.
- Improved video performance: The camera supports recording 4:2:2 10bit video at 6.2K/30P and 4K/120P internally. The sensor’s readout speed during video recording has been improved to 1/180 seconds, suppressing the rolling shutter effect. It supports three Apple ProRes codecs; ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, and ProRes 422 LT. When recording ProRes, X-H2S also supports proxy recording such as ProRes 422 Proxy. It has another new feature, the F-Log2 capability with dynamic range expanded up to 14+ stops, which enables much smoother tonal expression.
- Best capability to track a moving subject in the history of the X Series to capture decisive photo opportunity
The camera is equipped with a back-illuminated stacked-layer 26.16MP “X-TransTM CMOS 5 HS” sensor, the 5th generation of X Series’ image sensors. It has a signal readout speed about 4 times faster than the current model to achieve blackout-free continuous shooting of up to 40 frames per second. The camera controls phase-detection pixels independently from the image display during the burst mode. This triples the number of calculations in phase detection information from the “FUJIFILM X-T4” and enables high-speed focusing even during high-speed continuous shooting of 40 frames per second, thereby significantly improving AF accuracy in the burst mode.
The use of the new sensor and the processor is coupled with an increased built-in memory capacity to dramatically increase the number of frames that can be continuously recorded in the burst mode. When using the electronic shutter, the camera can shoot over 1,000 frames continuously at up to 30fps in JPEG and 20fps in RAW.
The EVF uses a high-resolution 5.76-million-dot panel with a magnification of 0.8x. The smooth viewfinder with a frame rate of approx. 120fps also offers improved visibility thanks to strong suppression of parallax and distortion that occur when an eye position becomes displaced while using the viewfinder, thereby enabling accurate tracking of subject movements.
- Substantially evolved AF performance with the use of new devices and enhanced algorithm
The use of the new devices and improved prediction algorithm for AF has led to a major boost in the camera’s capability to track a moving subject and autofocus accurately in Zone AF or in low-contrast conditions. This means a subject that keeps on moving can be accurately tracked, such as athletes and wild animals.
The new image processor features a subject-detection AF function, developed with Deep Learning technology. It detects and automatically tracks not only the human face/eyes but also animals, birds, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, aeroplanes, and trains to maintain autofocus. Users can concentrate on shutter opportunities and framing, as the camera can keep a targeted subject in focus constantly.
- Evolved video performance to cater to diverse needs
- The use of the new sensor / new processor has enabled saving 4:2:2 10bit video at 6.2K/30P internally, recording high-definition video while retaining extensive colour information. The camera also supports filming high-speed 4K/120P video so that a momentary action of a fast-moving subject can be presented in smooth slow-motion with fine details.
- The sensor’s readout speed during video recording has been reduced to as fast as 1/180 seconds. The rolling-shutter effect is well-controlled to present a moving subject naturally.
- X-H2S supports three Apple ProRes codecs; ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, and ProRes 422 LT. When recording ProRes, X-H2S also supports proxy recording such as ProRes 422 Proxy, streamlining the overall workflow from filming to post-production.
- AF performance for video recording has been enhanced. The camera supports the AF+MF function in the video mode, and offers the subject-detection AF function also during video filming, tracking a fast-moving subject in both stills and videos.
- Another new feature is F-Log2 capability with a dynamic range expanded up to 14+ stops. The greater dynamic range than the current F-log broadens post-production potential.
- To cater to the needs of professional photographers, the camera has a new heat-dissipating structure to substantially increase the maximum video-recording time and enable recording 240 minutes of 4K/60P video. Attach the optional cooling fan “FAN-001” to enable extended video recording even in high-temperature conditions.
- Hardware/Design/Operability to assist users’ shooting experience
- The camera features an all-new five-axis in-body image stabilization mechanism, which offers up to a 7.0-stop advantage thanks to the new processor and a new sensing control function. Users can comfortably choose to hand-hold the camera to shoot active situations such as sports or in low light conditions such as nightscape.
- The new camera inherits the popular design features of the X-H1, such as a large grip that works well with large lenses, an LCD display on the top panel for users to check settings at any time, and a highly-robust camera body that withstands heavy professional use. Furthermore, user feedback has been reflected to bring more improvement in operability.
- Shutter durability has been further improved, withstanding 500,000 actuations in the company’s test
- The camera features dual memory card slots supporting CFexpressTM Type B and SD cards. Use the CFexpressTM Type B card with high-speed data processing performance to draw out the full potential of X-H2S’s fast continuous shooting and video performance, and achieve comfortable shooting..
Optional accessories include:
1- Vertical battery grip “VG-XH” (for the X-H2S
- The vertical battery grip is dust and moisture resistant and operates at temperatures as low as -10 degrees Celsius. It fits two of the high-capacity battery “NP-W235.”
- The grip features various buttons in convenient locations for vertical shooting to provide the same level of operability as horizontal shooting.
2- File transmitter “FT-XH” (Due to be released in Sep 2022)
- This file transmitter features wired LAN connectivity and high-speed wireless communications capability, essential for in-studio tethered shooting or sports/media shooting. It can be also used as a vertical grip. It fits two of the high capacity battery “NP-W235.
- It can be combined with the X-H2S to support the following communication specifications:
1 FTP transfer by wired LAN / wireless LAN / USB smartphone tethering
2 Tethered shooting by wired LAN / wireless LAN
3 Remote Rec function by wired LAN / wireless LAN; Capable of controlling up to 4 X-H2S cameras from a browser at the same time
3- Cooling fan “FAN-001” (for the X-H2S)
- This is a cooling fan, specifically designed for the X-H2S to facilitate extended shooting and video recording at high temperatures.
- The fan can be fitted to the rear of the camera body without a cable and supplies power, extending continuous video recording time at high temperatures, and eliminating concerns of heat-related camera shutdown.
4- Cover kit “CVR-XH” (for the X-H2S)
- This is a cover kit for protecting various terminals on the camera.
- 1 x Sync terminal cover
- 1 x Hot shoe cover
- 1 x File transmitter / vertical battery grip terminal cover
- 1 x Cooling fan terminal cover
1 x Memory card slot cover
So do let us know what you think of this new mirrorless camera by Fujifilm X-H2S in the comments section below or tweet to us @theunbiasedblog