TEDxGateway, an independently organized TED Conference, will take place at theNational Centre Performing Arts (N.C.P.A) in Mumbai on 02 November 2014.
Expanding on the spirit of TED’s mission, “Ideas Worth Spreading” the TEDxGateway 2014 conference will focus on “Ideas Worth Doing” by bringing together 25+ brilliant and dynamic speakers from across India as well as around the world. The speaker panel comprises of eminent explorers, storytellers, photographers, scientific pioneers, roboticist, social activist, artist, visionaries and provocateurs from across the globe. All speakers will present their world-changing innovative ideas during their brief 15-minute talks.
Participants and speakers at this one-day event include prominent luminaries and industry leaders such as Arsh Shah Dilbagi, a 16 year old Google Science Fair Finalist; Ramesh Raskar who is an Associate Professor and head of the MIT Media Lab’s Camera Culture; Ramanan Laxminarayan, a Drug Resistance Economist; Ram Subramanian, Film Maker, Founder, Handloom Pictures; Graham Hill, Journalist & Founder of TreeHugger.com and LifeEdited;Naresh Narsimhan and Adam Magyar amongst many others.
The fifth edition of TEDxGateway is expected to draw more than 1500 curated and selected attendees across India. Attendees of TEDxGateway will include philanthropists, policymakers, industrialists, CXOs, entrepreneurs, creative heads, students, CEOs, scientists, artists, corporates and bureaucrats from across the nation.
New Initiatives at TEDxGateway 2014
This year in a new initiative at the conference, TEDxGateway is bringing together inspiring leaders to spark new ideas and possibilities at “The Hive” zone. The Hive is a community of startups and entrepreneurs powering transformation and innovation towards a healthier future.
A country that promotes new ideas, fresh thoughts and is open to change is sure to progress at an accelerated pace. TEDxGateway is playing host to such ideas at the “Better India” lounge another initiative organized this year at the venue.
“Campus Connect” is an initiative by TEDxGateway that focuses on building a community of young minds who have the potential of cultivating ideas that can change the world.
This year through Campus Connect, TEDxGateway reached out to 56 Colleges, schools and educational institutes all across the country. The team interacted with more than 3500 students from Engineering, MBA, Arts, Commerce and Science from cities such as Mumbai, Delhi, Mohali, Pune and Bangalore. The students got a chance to connect with 12 eminent speakers from different walks of life.
For every college that hosts a Campus Connect event, TEDxGateway provides them with a Simulcast Facility through which students can watch their favourite TEDxGateway talks live from the comfort of their own campus.
Speakers at TEDxGateway are no less than masters of their respective fields and have expanded their thought process to much beyond the scope of their field. To engage, interact and innovate with some of these finest inspirational thinkers & speakers. TEDxGateway is also organising “Master Classes” sessions on 1st November with relevant curated audience. During these sessions speakers will share their ideas and experiences that can fuel our city for its journey as an emerging Megacity.
The conference will be held at Jamshed Bhabha Theatre and Lawns, N.C.P.A, Nariman Point Mumbai on Sunday 2nd of November, 2014 from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM and will be simulcast live to 20 locations. Along with this conference, TEDxGateway 2014 is also holding a simulcast for 1000 students and young entrepreneurs at Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) where the students can benefit on no cost basis. After the session the students will have the opportunity to interact with speakers.
Speakers scheduled to appear at TEDxGateway 2014 include:
- Luis Von Ahn, Founder of Captcha & Duolingo
- Yves RossyJet Man
- Joe Madiath, Social Activist
- Deepak Ramola, Actor, Scriptwriter and Lyricist
- Sonam Kalra, Creator of The Sufi-Gospel Project & Vocalist
- Erica Hagen, Journalist & Development Practitioner, Co-founder of Map Kibera
- Mariman Paracha, Spoken Poet & Performer
- Jeremy Hiemans, Political Movement Maker
- Sudha Kheterpal, International Percussionist & Entrepreneur
- Hemani Kalucha, 17 year old Roboticist
- ArshShah Dilbagi, 15 year old Inventor & Google Science Fair Finalist
- Ramesh Raskar, Associate Professor and head of the MIT Media Lab’s Camera Culture
- Ramanan Laxminarayan, Drug Resistance Economist
- Ram Subramanian, Film Maker, Founder, Handloom Pictures
- Graham Hill, Journalist, founder of TreeHugger.com and LifeEdited
- Naresh Narsimhan, Architect, Urbanist, Activist and Creative Entrepreneur
- Adam Magyar, Artist & Photographer
- Toby Shapshak, Strategist & Technology Writer
- Zenia Tata, Director, Global Development & International Expansion at X Prize Foundation
- Madan Padaki, Co-founder, CEO & Managing Director of Head Held High Services
- Nirmalya Kumar, Professor of Marketing, London Business School
- Anuradha Koirala, Social Activist, Founder and Director of MaitiNepal
- Joe Landolina, 21 year old Medical product inventor
- Jerry Sanders, Futurist, Chairman & CEO, SkyTranInc
- Stuart Sender, Film Director
- Aparna Hedge, Social Entrepreneur
- Vijay Kumar, Roboticist& Professor at University of Pennsylvania
- Swapnil Chaturvedi, Innovator & Social Activist
TEDxGateway was created in Mumbai in 2010. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. The event is called TEDxGateway where x = independently organized TED event. At TEDxGateway, TEDTalks video and live speakers discuss and debate to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group.
Speaker profiles and more information on TEDxGateway can be found at http://www.tedxgateway.com/
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/TEDxGateway | Twitter: @TEDxGateway