HUAWEI has announced Kirin 990 Series SoCs at the IFA 2019. The new chipsets are based on the 7nm process by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturer Company(TSMC). The Kirin 990 Series includes two versions of Kirin 990 and Kirin 990 5G. As the world’s first Flagship 5G SoC powered with 7nm+ EUV(Extreme UltraViolet lithography), the Kirin 990 5G features breakthrough technology and advanced intelligence, inherited from Kirin and Balong.
Thanks to the 7nm+ EUV technology, over 10 billion transistors are condensed in this tiny chipset. The Kirin 990 5G ushers in the future with superior performance. This chipset will be the successor to the Kirin 980 which was announced last year.
Kirin 990 Series Features
- Up to 2.86GHz CPU
- 700MHz Mali-G76MP16 GPU
- LPDDR4X RAM
- UFS 3.0 storage
- 4K, HDR10 video support
- Security Engine
- Supporting NSA/SA (Non-Standalone and Standalone) architectures simultaneously, the Kirin 990 5G offers a smooth transition of the evolving 5G network. Being compatible with different bands and frequencies, this single chipset allows you to connect with 2G, 3G, 4G, and 5G networks satisfying various requirements easily no matter where you are.
- The Kirin 990 5G pioneers in the industry by reaching 5G peak download rate. In Sub-6GHz band, the theoretical peak download speed can reach 2.3 Gbps and the theoretical peak upload speed can reach 1.25 Gbps.
- The Kirin 990 Series achieved a 20% improvement in overall performance and 30% enhancement in energy efficiency.
- HUAWEI’s self-developed Da Vinci architecture NPU delivers better power efficiency, stronger processing capabilities and higher accuracy. The powerful big core plus ultra-low consumption micro core contribute to an enormous boost in AI performance by 138% in AI face recognition, the efficiency of NPU micro core can be enhanced up to 24x than the big core.
- The latest ISP is enhanced by 15%. Coupled with BM3D hardware-level noise reduction, it is capable of producing vivid photos of natural views, city architectures and stunning night shots; Real-time video segmenting and rendering requires a powerful and stable video processing capability.
- The 16 core GPU with Mali-G76 architecture elevates the performance by 30% while optimizing energy efficiency by 46%. Kirin Gaming+ 2.0 is especially designed to offer you immersive gaming experience.
- The series also supports new UFS 3.0 storage memory with data transfers 79% faster than UFS 2.1 in read and write speed. Even with large file transfers, extract or data exchange via phone clone is happening in the back-end, which allows you to open Apps promptly and smoothly.
Follow us on Twitter for more news and updates.