Sony has announced the successor to the Xperia 1 which was announced at the Mobile World Congress earlier this year. Sony has unveiled Xperia 5 at the IFA 2019 in Berlin. Just like the Xperia 1, the Xperia 5 also comes with a 21:9 CinemaWide display, 12MP triple rear cameras, Snapdragon 855, and much more.
Sony Xperia 5 Features
The Xperia 5 flaunts a 6.1-inch Full HD+ (2520×1080p) 21:9 CinemaWide display which is an HDR OLED panel with Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection at the front as well as at the rear. The display comes with DCI-P3 100%, Creator mode for accurate color reproduction, and Sony’s BRAVIA TV technology. It is powered by an Octa-core Snapdragon 855 chipset with Adreno 640 GPU. It comes with 6GB RAM, 128GB internal storage with microSD card support up to 512GB. The device is running on Android 9.0 Pie and comes with a 3140mAH battery with USB Power Delivery fast charging via Type-C port and Adaptive Charging.
On the camera front, the Xperia 5 features a triple 12MP camera set up at the rear – the primary 12MP with Exmor RS sensor, 1/ 2.6″ sensor size, 1.4 μm, 78° angle, an f/1.6 aperture, OIS, Hybrid OIS/EIS video stabilization, 26mm lens. The second 12MP camera with 1/3.4 sensor size, 1.0μm, 135° wide-angle, f/2.4 aperture, 16mm lens and the other 12MP with 1/3.4 sensor size, 1.0μm, 45° angle f/2.4 lens, OIS, Hybrid OIS/EIS video stabilization, and 52mm lens. The camera features include Cinema Pro 21:9 movie recording, 4K HDR recording, BIONZ XTM for mobile, RAW noise reduction, Eye AF, Up to 10FPS AF/AE, Dual photodiode, RGBC-IR sensor, Hybrid OIS/EIS video stabilization, 960 fps Super slow-mo (FHD/HD), 2x optical zoom, 5x digital zoom, Bokeh effect, HDR, Hybrid Autofocus, and 3D Creator. At the front, the phone packs in an 8MP camera with a 1/4 sensor size, 1.12 μm, 84° wide-angle, f/2.0 aperture, HDR, Portrait, display flash, and 3D Creator.
Other features of the device include Side-mounted Fingerprint scanner, Dual nano-SIM, 4G LTE, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, USB 3.1, GPS + GLONASS, Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4Ghz)/ (5Ghz), Qualcomm aptX HD audio, Dolby Atmos Stereo speaker, IP68 Water, and Dust resistant.
Sony Xperia 5 Specifications
- 6.1-inch Full HD+ (2520×1080p) 21:9 CinemaWide display, HDR OLED display, Corning Gorilla Glass 6
- 2.84GHz Octa-core Snapdragon 855 processor, Adreno 640 GPU
- 6GB RAM
- 128GB internal storage, microSD card support up to 512GB
- 12MP(f/1.6, OIS, EIS, 78°, 26mm)+12MP(f/2.5, 16mm)+12MP(f/2.4, OIS, 45°, 52mm) triple rear cameras
- 8MP front-facing camera, f/2.0 aperture, display flash
- Android 9 Pie
- 3140mAH battery, USB Power Delivery fast charging, Adaptive Charging, USB Type-C(USB 3.1)
- Side-mounted Fingerprint scanner
- Single nano-SIM, 4G LTE, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, GPS + GLONASS
- Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz)
- Qualcomm aptX HD audio
- Dolby Atmos stereo speaker
- IP68 Water and Dust resistant
- Thickness: 7.62mm and Weight: 164 g
- Colors: Black, Blue, Gery, and Red
Pricing and Availability
Sony has not announced the price of the device yet. The Xperia 5 will be up for pre-order in select European countries in October. Customer who pre-order the device will get WF1000XM3 truly wireless noise cancellation earphones for free.