Action camera maker, GoPro has today announced two new products – GoPro HERO8 Black and GoPro MAX. While the GoPro HERO8 Black will serve as the successor to the GoPro HERO7 Black, the GoPro Max is the company’s first attempt to (re)enter the 360-degree camera world after the GoPro Fusion. The company also announced three new mods.
The HERO8 Black features HyperSmooth 2.0 video stabilization that significantly improves the stabilization over HyperSmooth 1.0. HyperSmooth 2.0 works in all resolutions and frame rates, features a new Boost mode and has in-app horizon leveling. Also new, TimeWarp 2.0 features automatic rate adjustment and tap-control speed ramping. HERO8 Black sports four digital lenses to easily select a field of view improved audio with enhanced wind suppression, customizable mode presets and a lighter, frameless design featuring folding mounting fingers.
GoPro HERO8 Features
- 12MP + SuperPhoto With Improved HDR
- Frameless mounting with built-in folding mounting fingers
- HyperSmooth 2.0 – Improved overall baseline performance and dramatically improved stabilization in pitch-axis movement. HyperSmooth 2.0 also features a new Boost mode that cranks up the stabilization when desired. Plus, HyperSmooth 2.0 works in all resolutions and frame rates and features in-app horizon leveling.
- TimeWarp 2.0 – Automatically adjusts speed based on motion, scene detection and lighting. T
- Digital Lenses – Toggle between Narrow, Linear, Wide and SuperView.
- Customize up to 10 presets, or use preloaded video presets for Standard, Activity, Cinematic and Slo-Mo shots, for quick access to settings
- On-Screen Shortcuts – Customize your screen with the shortcuts to the features you use most.
- LiveBurst – Record the moments 1.5 seconds before and after your shot, so you can choose the best single frame for the perfect 12MP photo or share an awesome 4K 4:3 video.
- SuperPhoto with improved HDR – Capture killer 12MP photos with improved HDR—while in motion or stationary—with reduced blur and serious detail even in low-light areas.
- 4K60 + 1080p240 Video – Stunning video resolution, with studio-quality bit rate options of up to 100Mbps, and 8x slo-mo ultra-high frame rate 1080p240 video.
- RAW mode is now available for time-lapse and burst photos.
- Night Lapse Video, Live Streaming in 1080p, Voice Control, Advanced Wind-Noise Reduction
- Rugged and Waterproof up to 33ft (10m).
GoPro MAX features a dual-lens GoPro camera. It is a waterproof, maximum-stabilized single-lens HERO camera, dual-lens 360 camera or vlogging camera with its built-in front-facing display and shotgun-mic audio capabilities. No matter how you use it, MAX delivers video stabilization with Max HyperSmooth. MAX also features four digital lenses, including the new ultra-wide Max SuperView—GoPro’s widest field of view ever. Also, it includes in-camera 360 video and photo stitching plus keyframe-based editing of 360 content in the GoPro app.
GoPro MAX Features
- 16.6MP 360 Photo / 5.5MP HERO Mode Photo
- Built-In, Folding Mounting Fingers
- HERO + 360 Capture Modes – Switch between traditional HERO-style video and photo or immersive 360 footage.
- Max HyperSmooth, In-Camera Horizon Leveling
- Max TimeWarp – Warps time in both 360 and HERO modes
- Digital Lenses – 4 digital lenses make selecting a field of view easy and include the ultra-immersive Max SuperView option.
- Max SuperView, PowerPano(270°)
- Image Quality – 5.6K30 360 video, 1440p60 and 1080p60 HERO video, 5.5MP HERO photos and 6.2MP PowerPano photos.
- Premium 360 + Stereo Audio – 6 microphone
- Directional Audio, In-Camera Stitching
- Reframe + the GoPro App – Use the new keyframe-based workflow in the app to easily Reframe 360 footage into traditional videos and photos you can playback, edit or share.
- 1080p Live Streaming, Slo-Mo
- Rugged and Waterproof up to 33ft (10m).
- Voice Control, GPS-Enabled, Scene Detection
- Auto Backup to the Cloud with GoPro PLUS
Furthermore, the company also announced three new Mods – Media Mod, Display Mod and Light Mod that are modular accessories that deck HERO8 Black with professional-grade audio, a front-facing display, and enhanced lighting.
Media Mod: Priced at $79.99 Media Mod delivers shotgun-mic directional audio performance and features two cold shoe mounts for additional accessories along with Type-C, HDMI and 3.5mm external mic adapter ports.
Display Mod: Priced $79.99 Display Mod is a folding front- or rear-facing 1.90-inch display that attaches to the top of the Media Mod. It’s the perfect size for both framing up vlogging shots and folding down and out of the way when not in use.
Light Mod: Waterproof to 33 feet (10 meters), wearable and gear-mountable, the $49.99 Light Mod is the world’s most versatile light. The Light Mod is ready to brighten any scene, whether mounted to the Media Mod or attached to a GoPro mount, it’s rechargeable, and it comes complete with a diffuser to soften lighting when filming with HERO8 Black.
Pricing and Availability
- GoPro HERO8 Black is now up for pre-order on GoPro.com with shipments beginning October 15
- GoPro MAX is now up for pre-order on GoPro.com with shipments beginning October 24.
- Mods will be available for preorder on GoPro.com in December.