Samsung’s Galaxy Fold has had a roller coaster ride this year, the device was announced in February and went on pre-booking in April in the US and it was also tipped to launch in India back in April. Just after the reservation started, many reviewers started reporting issues with the display and the body of the Galaxy Fold. Since then the company halted the reservation and has been working on the issues and the Galaxy Fold and was finally launched in September in select markets. Today, the Samsung Galaxy Fold was officially launched in India.
During the past several months, Samsung has been refining the Galaxy Fold to ensure it delivers the best possible experience. Back in July, the company announced that they are working the issues and coming up with an improvised version of the Galaxy Fold. Here are the design and construction improvements that Samsung has made in the past few months:
- The top protective layer of the Infinity Flex Display has been extended beyond the bezel, making it apparent that it is an integral part of the display structure and not meant to be removed.
- Galaxy Fold features additional reinforcements to better protect the device from external particles while maintaining its signature foldable experience:
- The top and bottom of the hinge area have been strengthened with newly added protection caps.
- Additional metal layers underneath the Infinity Flex Display have been included to reinforce the protection of the display.
- The space between the hinge and body of Galaxy Fold has been reduced.
The Samsung Galaxy Fold can be used as a smartphone as well as a tablet when unfolded. Upfront, the Galaxy Fold comes with a 4.6-inch HD+ super AMOLED 21:9 display, when it is opened, you will get a 7.3-inch QXGA+ Infinity flex Dynamic AMOLED display with 4.2:3 aspect ratio. The Fold is powered by 7nm 64-bit Octa-core processor and is packed with 12GB RAM, 512GB UFS 3.0 internal storage.
The device is packed with 4,380mAH battery with support for both fast charging as well as wireless charging. It is running on Android 9.0 Pie based on Samsung One UI. One of the best features of the device is that you can use up to three apps at the same time on the big screen, which makes multitasking pretty easy.
Further, the device includes a side-mounted fingerprint scanner, sound by AKG with the stereo speakers, Wireless PowerShare to charge other devices, Multi-Active Window to open up to three active apps simultaneously on the main display(7.6-inch), and App Continuity which lets you seamless transitions between the cover and the main displays. As Galaxy Fold opens and closes, apps will automatically show up where you left off. When you’re ready to take a photo, make in-depth edits, or have a closer look at the feed, open the display for a big screen and fuller canvas.
Coming to the camera department, the Fold features a 10MP Selfie Camera with an f/2.2 aperture with the 4.6-inch cover display and 12MP(f/2.4)+12MP(f/1.5-f//2.4)+16MP(f/2.2) triple rear camera setup, OIS, 2x optical zoom in and out Digital zoom up to 10x, HDR10+ recording, 4K recording, Super Slow-mo(960fps), AR Emoji, 123˚ Field of View at the rear of 7.6-inch flex display, and also the device packs in a 10MP(f/2.2)+8MP(f/1.9) dual front cameras at the front of the flex display making it the device with six camera setup.
Samsung Galaxy Fold Specifications
- 7.3-inch QXGA+ Infinity flex Dynamic AMOLED 4.2:3 display
- 4.6-inch HD+ Super AMOLED 21:9 display
- 7㎚ 64-bit Octa-Core Processor
- 12GB RAM
- 512GB UFS 3.0 internal storage
- Android 9.0 Pie, Samsung One UI
- 4,380mAH battery(LTE), Quick Charge, and Wireless fast charging support, USB Type-C port
- 4,235mAh Battery on 5G model with Quick Charge, and Wireless fast charging support, USB Type-C port
- Cameras: 16MP Ultra Wide Camera with f/2.2 , Pixel size: 1.0μm, FOV: 123˚, 12MP Wide-angle Camera: Super Speed Dual Pixel AF, OIS, F1.5/F2.4, Pixel size: 1.4μm, FOV: 77˚, 12MP Telephoto Camera: PDAF, F2.4, OIS, Pixel size: 1.0μm, FOV: 45˚, Dual OIS, 0.5x out and 2x in optical zoom, Up to 10x digital zoom, HDR10+ recording, Tracking AF
- Side-mounted fingerprint scanner
- sound by AKG with the stereo speakers
- Wireless PowerShare
- Samsung Pay
- Weight: 276g
- Multi-Active Window, App Continuity
Pricing and Availability
Galaxy Fold comes with 12GB of RAM and 512GB internal storage and will be available in Premium Cosmos Black color for INR 1,64,999. Pre-bookings for Galaxy Fold in India open on October 4, 2019, and deliveries will begin on October 20, 2019. Galaxy Fold will be available for pre-booking online on Samsung’s official online store, Samsung Shop, and offline in 35 cities across select 315 outlets, including the iconic Samsung Opera House in Bengaluru.
For more news and updates follow us on Twitter.