LG has announced its flagship smartphone LG G8 ThinQ at the MWC 2019 floors along with the LG V50 ThinQ 5G. The LG G8 ThinQ is an upgrade to the last year’s LG G7+ ThinQ with a couple of new innovative additions. The device comes with touchless command support and also a new authentication standard. To give a touchless command to the device, a user will have to wave of the hand to access favorite functions, answer calls, snooze alarms, and even increase volume without touching phone. With the new authentication standard, Hand ID, a user can register his hand(palm) just like you register face/fingerprint. The 3D sensor uses your unique circulatory and hand patterns to unlock your phone with a quick scan of your palm. One more new addition is the speaker screen, LG is bringing its Smart TV tech to LG G8 ThinQ, the entire screen is the speaker on the G8. The display directs sound toward the user for a rich, clear, and immersive sound experience that also lets you hear calls easily and comfortably. providing crystal clear sound. The LG G8 ThinQ comes with a 6.1-inch QHD+ 19.5:9 FullVision OLED display (3120 x 1440) with a notch. There is also an option to hide the notch in the settings along with few notch customization options. It is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 and is coupled with Adreno 640 GPU. The device comes with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage with microSD card support up to 2TB. It runs on Android 9.0 Pie with a proprietary LG layer of skin called LG UX. The fingerprint scanner is placed at the rear of the device. It comes with 3500mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0.
Coming to the camera department, the G8 ThinQ features a triple rear camera – 12MP+16MP+12MP set-up. One of the 12MP(45°) sensor is a telephoto zoom lens, f/2.4 aperture, and the other 12MP(78°) sensor being a primary one with 1.4µm pixel size and f/1.5 aperture. At the center, there is a 16MP(107°) wide angle lens with an f/1.9 aperture. The device comes with a dual 8MP+ToF selfie shooters- an 8MP primary sensor with f/1.7 aperture and the secondary ToF(Time of Flight) to get a better portrait shot. Some of the camera modes include – Portrait selfie, wide-angle selfie, 2X optic zoom, 107° super wide angle, f/1.5 angle, triple shot(super wide, standard, telephoto) with just single click, cine shot which allows animating a specific area in a photo with a touch motion, and AI portrait mode. Also, the device supports Video Portrait, as well as 3D face, unlock. Further, the smartphone is IP68 Water and dust resistant rated and also MIL-STD 810G certified. It houses a 3.5mm audio jack and comes with a 32-bit Advanced Hi-Fi Quad DAC as well as BoomBoxSpeakers. It also comes with DTS:X 3D sound. Other features include 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS, NFC, USB Type-C. It also comes with a dedicated Google Assistant Button.
LG G8 ThinQ Specifications
- 6.1-inch display (3120 x 1440 pixels) FullVision OLED display, 19.5:9 aspect ratio with a notch
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 7nm processor, Adreno 630 GPU
- 6GB RAM
- 128GB UFS 2.0 internal memory, microSD card support up to 2TB
- 12MP(f/1.5, 78°) +16MP(f/1.9, 107°)super wide angle lens +12MP(f/2.4, 45°) telephoto lens triple rear cameras with LED flash
- 8MP( f/1.7, 80°) front camera + ToF sensor
- Android 9.0 PIe, LG UX
- 3500mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, Wireless charging
- Thickness: 8.4mm and Weight: 167g
- Fingerprint sensor at the rear, Face unlock
- Google Assistant button
- IP68 Water and dust resistant, MIL-STD 810G certified, 32-bit Advanced Hi-Fi Quad DAC, DTS: X 3D surround sound
- BoomBox speaker set-up
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0 LE, GPS, NFC, USB Type-C port
- Colors: Red, Aurora Black, and Blue
The LG G8 ThinQ will start rolling out from March 2019, there is no word on the pricing yet.