At the MWC 2019, LG has announced its first 5G enabled smartphone, the LG V50 ThinQ 5G, which is the successor to the LG V40 ThinQ. The V50 ThinQ is pretty much similar to the V40 with a few changes coming in the form of a new chipset with 5G, bigger battery, and a slightly improved camera. The device also comes with a Vapor Chamber cooling system to provide better gaming experience and overall better smartphone experience.
The LG V50 ThinQ 5G comes with a 6.4-inch QHD+ FullVision OLED display(3120 x 1440p) with 19:9.5 aspect ratio. Under the hood, it is powered by an Octa-core Snapdragon 855 processor clocked at 2.84GHz along with Snapdragon X50 Modem for 5G connectivity and Adreno 630 GPU. The device comes with a 6GB RAM, 128GB internal storage with microSD card support up to 2TB. It runs on Android 9.0 Pie with LG’s proprietary skin- LG UX. The fingerprint scanner is placed at the rear of the device. It comes with a big 4000mAH battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0. Coming to the camera department, the V50 ThinQ 5G features a triple rear camera – 12MP+16MP+12MP set-up. One of the 12MP(45°) sensor is a telephoto zoom lens, f/2.4 aperture, and the other 12MP(78°) sensor being a primary one with 1.4µm pixel size and f/1.5 aperture. At the center, there is a 16MP(107°) wide angle lens with an f/1.9 aperture. The device comes with a dual 8MP+5MP selfie shooters- an 8MP primary sensor with f/1.8 aperture and the secondary 5MP sensor with f/2.2 aperture and 90° wide-angle lens. Some of the camera modes include – Portrait selfie, wide-angle selfie, 2X optic zoom, 107° super wide angle, f/1.5 angle, triple shot(super wide, standard, telephoto) with just single click, cine shot which allows animating a specific area in a photo with a touch motion, and AI portrait mode.
Further, the smartphone is IP68 Water and dust resistant rated and also MIL-STD 810G certified. It houses a 3.5mm audio jack and comes with a 32-bit Advanced Hi-Fi Quad DAC as well as BoomBoxSpeakers. It also comes with DTS:X 3D sound. Other features include 5G, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS, NFC, USB Type-C.
LG V50 ThinQ 5G Specifications
- 6.4-inch display (3120 x 1440 pixels) QHD+ OLED display, 538 PPI, 19.5:9 aspect ratio
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor with X50 5g Modem, Adreno 640GPU
- 6GB RAM
- 128GB internal memory, microSD card support up to 2TB
- 12MP(f/1.5, 78°) +16MP(f/1.9, 107°)super wide angle lens +12MP(f/2.4, 45°) telephoto lens triple rear cameras with LED flash
- 8MP( f/1.8, 80°)+5MP( f/2.2, 90°) front camera
- Android 9.0 PIe, LG UX
- 4000mAH battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
- Thickness: 8.3mm and Weight: 183g
- Fingerprint sensor at the rear
- IP68 Water and dust resistant, MIL-STD 810G certified, 32-bit Advanced Hi-Fi Quad DAC, DTS: X 3D surround sound
- BoomBox speaker set-up
- 5G, 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0 LE, GPS, NFC, USB Type-C port
- Color: Astro Black
The LG V50 ThinQ 5G will be available later this year in the US, South Korea, Australia, and other European markets where 5G connectivity is available. There is no word on the pricing yet.
Dual Screen Accessory
LG also announced a new smartphone accessory that lets you add a second screen of 6.2-inch OLED Full HD+ display and it provides better gaming and multitasking experience. It connects with POGO pins and uses the phone’s big battery to run.