Everyone has a special teacher who made our school experience memorable. A teacher who perhaps left a lasting impression by taking you to a field to explain physics or the school garden to show you biology firsthand. With the lockdown and social distancing norms today, teaching is no mean task. Why fret, when Alexa can be your new learning buddy! Alexa offers creative ways for parents, students and even teachers to keep up that spirit of learning.
Let’s celebrate this Teacher’s Day with Alexa and make learning a fun activity for everyone!
Bonus tip – You can also gift your favourite teacher an Amazon Echo device and introduce them to Alexa.
Here are some Alexa skills for learning with fun:
- Pearson MyPedia: This is a skill that helps students enhance their listening, comprehension, and vocabulary skills. Created by Pearson, a leading education company, it includes fun facts, trivia quizzes and rewards that help students learn English in the most innovative and interesting way. It offers a variety of stories from levels 1 to 5, coupled with fun facts & trivia, quizzes & rewards for the budding learners To get started say “Alexa, open MyPedia”, or simply “Alexa, I want to learn English”.
- Career Launcher Vocab Game: A vocabulary game which will challenge you to score points by listening to a word and identifying the correct synonym or antonym from three options. This game will test your word skills and your concentration skills. The game adjusts the words given to you according to your level. There are over 5000 words which have been mapped to different learner levels. You can launch the skill by just asking, “Alexa Open Word Game”
- 1-2-3 Math: Who would have thought learning math can be fun too? 1-2-3 Math is a math challenge which tests your elementary computing skills, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, comparison etc. There are three modes – easy, medium and hard, with increasing levels of difficulty. The game is auto-saved throughout the day. So, if you cannot answer a question within the allotted time, you can always come back when you are ready and continue from where you left. Get points for correct answers and keep using the skill to maintain your lead in the game. With new challenges as well as testing analytical skills on a daily basis, this skill will help students solve math problems easily. You can launch the skill by just asking, “Alexa, Open one two three”
- WikiHow: If you love dabbling in experiments, WikiHow to the rescue! This skill can help with step by step instructions on a varied range of topics. Just say, “Alexa, ask WikiHow how to make a paper plane”. From cooking to science experiments, you can explore a variety of topics and master them by seeking instructions from this skill. So get started with the WikiHow skill and get access to over 180,000 WikiHow articles.
- Wild Planet: Here’s an interesting skill that will familiarize kids with animals in their natural habitat. By enabling the skill, kids can listen to the sounds of over 500 animals from alligators to magpie. Ask, “Alexa, play Tiger sound”. If you want to know some interesting facts about unique species, just say “Alexa, ask Wild Planet to tell me a fact about Ovenbird”.
- Quiz Master: Quiz master is a trivia skill related to cricket, politics, science, math, history, economics, geography, movies and current affairs. It has topics like historical monuments, capital, currency, popular movie awards, cricket records, cricket history, math, science, current affairs etc. to keep you up to date. Just say, “Alexa, open Quiz Master” and it will quiz you on a range of topics. Teachers or parents can engage other members as well as take part in the quiz along with the kids to make the process of learning really fun and engaging.
Do let us know if you have tried any of these Teacher’s Day with Alexa skills by leaving a comment below or tweet to us @theunbiasedblog